The District Council of Kimba has recently appointed a new Environmental Health Officer - Donna Hattam from City of Tea Tree Gully.
Environmental Health Officers inspect all food businesses in the Council area including home based businesses and mobile food businesses to ensure compliance with the Food Act 2001, Food Regulations 2002 and the Food Safety Standards.
Council promotes food safety and ensures compliance with legislation by:
- Conducting routine food safety inspections
- Food safety auditing for aged care and childcare businesses
- Investigation of food complaints and food poisoning incidents
- Providing information and education about safe food handling practices
- Assisting SA Health with food recalls and food poisoning outbreak situations.
Food business responsibilities
It is a requirement under the Act that any food business handling or selling food must, before commencing operations, notify their local Council of their food business details by completing the Food Business Notification Form.
Notification is required for all food businesses in the District Council of Kimba including:
- Temporary food businesses
- Home based food businesses
- Mobile food businesses
This form only needs to be completed once unless the details of the food business change. There is no fee associated with notification however fines may apply for operating a food business without notifying.
For advice relating to opening and running a food business and food business responsibilities please contact Council on 86272026.